Cupping Therapy Benefits
Cupping provides a wide variety of benefits, including relief from back and neck pain, stiff muscles, anxiety, and fatigue. Like acupuncture, it targets the body’s natural meridian lines and improves the flow of qi. By heating these cups, placing them on the skin, and allowing them to cool, Dr. Mosher creates a small vacuum that pulls tissue upward. This helps blood vessels expand and improves blood flow to the area. The more blood and oxygen the tissue has, the better it will function and the faster it will heal. In essence, cupping therapy uses the same technique as a massage, but uses negative pressure instead of positive pressure. At his Poway, CA, practice, Dr. Bret Mosher can explain the treatment so that you fully understand cupping therapy benefits and other aspects of treatment.
Cupping has been shown to provide many of the same benefits as acupuncture, but without the need for needles.
Why Undergo Cupping?
While its specific mechanisms have not been extensively studied, cupping therapy has been linked to a number of tangible health benefits. The best understood of these include:
- Relieving pain: One of the best-documented effects of cupping is pain relief. It is recommended for a number of issues, including pain in the neck, lower back, and joints. Because it uses cups rather than needles, cupping is often an appealing alternative to acupuncture.
- Relaxing stiff muscles: By promoting blood flow, cupping therapy can significantly relax otherwise stiff muscles. Many patients have also reported that the act of lying still for long periods of time during treatment contributes to their overall relaxation.
- Easing anxiety: Easing or removing the physical discomfort can also reduce emotional and mental effects. As a result, cupping therapy is sometimes suggested for those struggling with depression, anxiety, or chronic fatigue.
One of the best-documented effects of cupping is pain relief. It is recommended for a number of issues, including pain in the neck, lower back, and joints.
While not as thoroughly documented, some studies have suggested that the improved qi and blood flow resulting from cupping therapy provides additional health benefits:
- Boosted skin health: With increased lymph and blood circulation, the skin can heal more quickly. As a result, cupping therapy may be able to reduce acne, herpes, and overall skin inflammation.
- Alleviated respiratory problems: Cupping therapy has traditionally been used to treat a variety of respiratory conditions, from the common cold to the flu. One of its oldest applications was in the treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis.
- Improved digestive function: Easing stiffness and boosting the immune system may also have a positive effect on stress-related digestive problems, such as loss of appetite, diarrhea, and irritable bowel syndrome.
Ease Your Aches and Pains without Needles
Cupping therapy has been shown to offer many of the same benefits of traditional acupuncture without the needles that can make some patients uncomfortable. If you are interested in natural relief for a variety of symptoms, reach out to our office online or call (858) 679-2995 today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Bret Mosher.