Moxibustion Benefits and Therapeutic Applications
Whether on its own or combined with acupuncture, a moxibustion treatment can provide a number of physical benefits, including improved blood flow, a boosted immune system, and chronic pain relief. At his natural health practice in Poway, CA
, Dr. Bret Mosher
can help you experience moxibustion benefits
by tailoring treatment to your individual needs.
Moxibustion can relieve chronic pain and improve circulation.
In general, moxibustion stimulates blood circulation and triggers the body’s natural healing response. A skilled acupuncturist can target specific points on the body (that may or may not correspond with acupoints
) and apply the heat from moxibustion to bring about a biochemical response. In addition, warming certain points with the slow heat from the burning moxa produces a heat that can treat sore muscles. Specific health benefits of moxibustion can include:
- Stimulating circulation and improving the flow of qi
- Expelling cold and dampness from the body (“warming the meridians”) to relieve back pain and pain from arthritis and menstrual camping
- Improving female health issues such as menstrual irregularity, infertility, and breech pregnancy
- Relieving male health problems such as impotence and poor sperm quality
- Increasing resistance to cold and flu; this is especially helpful for patients who tend to frequently suffer from contagious viruses that circulate in winter
- Stimulating the immune system to fight more serious illnesses and to keep the body healthy
- Regulating the digestive system to relieve constipation and chronic diarrhea
- Reducing numbness in the fingers and toes
- Reducing the risk of developing blood clots
- Easing anxiety disorders and certain symptoms of depression
- Relieving side effects of conventional cancer treatment
- Strengthening qi to eliminate general fatigue, leading to increased energy throughout the day
Dr. Mosher is an authority in traditional Chinese medicine and can help you experience the benefits of moxibustion safely and with maximum efficacy.
Moxibustion can relieve pain and provide relaxation without medications or surgery. Moxibustion is easily combined with all forms of acupuncture
and can be an important adjunct to a variety of treatments in complementary medicine
. In traditional Chinese medicine, it is considered equal in healing power to diet, exercise, meditation, and cupping. When properly administered by an experienced and certified practitioner, moxibustion therapy is safe. During an in-depth consultation at Dr. Mosher's office, he can carefully determine if moxibustion is right for you.
Choose a Qualified Practitioner
If you are interested in the healing properties of moxibustion, it is extremely important to select a trained practitioner
. Despite the appearance of an ease of application and the wide availability of moxa sticks, you should never administer moxibustion to yourself. Doing so could be dangerous as well as ineffective, as moxibustion is associated with certain risk factors. With nearly four decades of experience, Dr. Mosher is an authority in traditional Chinese medicine
and can help you experience the benefits of moxibustion safely and with maximum efficacy. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Bret Mosher, please contact Mosher Health online
today or call us at (858) 679-2995.